The Problem with having many devices
Personally, I have different devices and I sometimes need to consume media across a wide variety of them. This may come in the form of books I’m currently reading or videos im binge-watching. Moving these usually large files across my devices - say for example, from my personal computer to my phone - is quite an annoying task I have to deal with every now and then.
My stop gap measure is to just use a cloud storage service or messaging service in order to send the files to myself in one device and download it from that service on the second device. This is good enough for most cases, but is a chore to deal with when transfering very large files or a numerous number of files which I have to upload and download.
So when I saw a youtube video about making a password-protected file sharing website, I immediately set about making one for myself
Things I plan to implement
- Permanently host the file locally through my personal computer, assign a static IP into it, and add a neat domain like sharing.reddie.dev and add it to my router’s DNS
- Dockerize the application so it can run from any of my devices
- Fix the issue with my VPN
- Improve the UI of the application using ReactJS and Tailwind
- List out the currently available files in the front page
- Store all downloaded files in an associated temp directory